Our Society's Calendar
On Events page: Help Identify Students in the Venice School Photo
We want to recognize Mennonite Authors in Saskatchewan and give them a mention here so that you may more easily find them. Our purpose is not to do the author's promotion for them, but to draw attention to the literacy and creativity of our Mennonite writers.
If you are aware of an author with strong Mennonite and Saskatchewan roots or ties, please let us know of their book and website. We would prefer that the author have a website to which we can refer visitors for more information. However, we will also list some to show how prolific Mennonite authors in Saskatchewan have been. See the Book list by authors names on this site.
Where we find an author who has written a number of books and has an interesting profile, we are more likely to give that author a full page profile here. We need information like; around 600 words about the life of the author, with a contempory photo, and a cover graphic for the author's book(s).
These names are from our book list.
Balzer, Nettie - Raising Eight on 80, the story of raising a family in the 1930s, 400pp. pbk. $25.00. This book was launched by MHSS on February 22, 2015. Helena - a Peek into the Past, 85 short stories based on the life of the author's mother's life stories. pbk, 377 pp. self-published, printed by BlitzPrint, Calgary. Book launched by MHSS, Nov. 4, 2012. $20.00. Both of Nettie's books are available through the Books section of this site.
Bartel, Elizabeth - Even Such a Time - The story of Anna, a fifteen year old girl, sent to work for a wealthy family. Chronicles her life through marriage, children, a world of war and a shocking family tragedy. Pub: self-published. $20.00 Elizabeth has also written, About Those Reimers and her latest book, By Whatever Name, is launched September 23, 2012 in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Buhler, Abram - Altester Abram J. Buhler 1903-1982 with/ Altester John D. Reddekopp - by Lindsay Martens. pbk. 25 pgs., presented at AGM of MHSS in March 2009. Pub: MHSS. $2.00.
Dick, Janice L;
Historical Fiction with a Touch of Romance, Author, Editor, Speaker
- Calm Before the Storm - 1st in a series by, 365 pages. pbk. $20.00
- Eye of the Storm - 2nd in the series, 397 pages. pbk. $20.00
- Out of the Storm - 3rd in the series 437 pages, pbk. $20.00
Or all three can be purchased from MHSS for $55.00
Janice's Newest Books!
- Other Side of the River - 1st in new series set in Eastern Soviet Union
(1926-30), 312 pages, pbk. $16.89, digital $7.59
- The Christmas Sweater - short story, 30 pages, digital format (sells for $1.13 on amazon.ca)
- Moments in the Word - Janice’s section of a devotional compilation with 5 other CDN authors, digital $1.12 (part of Uplifting Devotionals III, digital $4.62, print $18.84)
Doell, Leonard, ed - Mennonite Homesteaders on The Hague - Osler Reserve - hdc., 536 pages. Homestead records of Hague-Osler Reserve and 1901 Canadian Census records for that area. Cross referenced tot the Bergthal Gemeinde Buch, and the Reinlander Gemeinde Buch. Pub: Leonard Doell. $30.00
Driedger, Jack ;
- Growing Up in Blumenheim - pbk. The author's story of growing up in Blumenheim, Sask, near Osler. SK.Pub: Self-published. $6.00
- Enn Bloomheim Oppjewossen - Ed. Jack Driedger & Chris Cox, pbk. 83 pp. Pub. Your Nickel's Worth. $20.00
(Read a review of this book by Jake Ens).
Driedger, William - Jacob, Out of the Village - Pbk. 208 pp. The story of a small boy in an Old Colony Village in the Dirty Thirties. Publ: Self-published. $17.00
Fast, Bernhard - Drama of a Pioneer's Son, The, - Pbk. 120 pp. Quality Press. $7.00
- Knak Sot, Pbk. Self-published 76 pp. In Plaut Dietsche. $8.00
- Pause That Refreshes, The, Pbk. 41 pp. Poem and stories, self-published. $7.00
- Prairie Trails - Gopher Tails, 74 pp. 2002 Stories and poetry feature recollections of the author. Pub: self-published. $8.00
- De Stuk Machine, in Low German. 80 pp. short stories Pub: self-published and printed by Derksen Printers. $8.00
Friesen, Henry A. - Johann Friesen of Poland and His Descendants Telling Their Stories, 156 pp. pbk $20.00. This book was launched by MHSS on February 22, 2015, and is available through our Books section of this site. For more information, Henry has his own website: henryfriesen.wordpress.com
Friesen, Victor Carl;
- Forever Home, Pbk 228 pp. A story of the good old days on the farm. $20.00
- Gift of Country Life, The, Pbk. 112 pp. Features landscape photography and poetry. Pub: self-published. $20.00
- Mulberry Tree, The (1997) Pbk. 206 pp.. Recollections of the childhood and life of Anna Friesen. Includes an appendix of Mennonite recipes. Pub: Lily Publ., Saskatoon. $12.95
- Sky Full of Dreams, A - Memories of earlier days on the farm. 237 pp. Pbk. $20.00
- Where The River Runs, Fifth House Lt. Pbk. 480 pages Pub: self-published. $23.00
- Where the River Runs - Stories of the Saskatchewan and the people drawn to its shores. Fifth House Lt. Pbk. 480 pages Pub: self-published. $23.00
- Year is a Circle, The - pbk. a book of poetry, $24.95
Guenther, Bruce - The Osler Mission Chapel 1974-1994, the Convergence of Old Colony Mennonites with Evangelical Protestantism in 20th Century Canadian Society, pbk. 37 pgs. first presented to the Canadian Society of Church History, University of Calgary, June 1994, and Pub: in Journal of Mennonite Studies. $2.00.
Guenther, Mary - Searching for Eternal Values, Pbk. 175 pp. An authorized biography of George Loewen. $15.00
Jantz, Harold and Neoma - Rooting the Faith (2008) Pbk. 103 pp A history of the Mennonite Brethren Church in Saskatchewan. $9.00
Janzen, William - 1920 Migration of Old Colony Mennonites from the Hague-Osler area to Mexico - presented at AGM in March 2006. pbk. 21 pgs. Pub: MHSS. $2.00
ed - "Baker" Wiebe Family, The, 1850-1930 Pbk. 157 pp. Pub: Self-published. $12.00
- Our Family Tree, Pbk. The story of the Kornelsen Family. Pub: self-published. $12.00
Klaassen, H. T. - Birth and Growth of Eigenheim Mennonite Church 1892-1974. Pbk. 85 pp. Valley Printers. $5.00
Klassen, Walter - The Days of Our Years - A history of the Eigenheim Mennonite Church, hdc. 1992 312 pages. Published on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the church. This book includes many excellent photographs. SALE. $2.00
Neudorf, Nettie - We Will Rejoice - Pbk. 205 pp. The Story of Isaac & Anna (Leoppky) Neudorf - 1980, Osler, SK. - Nettie Neudorf., pbk. Osler, Sask. Pub: Nettie Neudorf, self-published, Caronport, SK. $1.00
Neufeld, Elmer - Toews Family History, 263 pp. pbk., Story of Heinrich Isaac Toews, 1855-1918, and Katherine Klassen 1857-1922, pub. Saguenay Home Printing. $20.00
Nickel, John and Nickel, Gene - Nikkel, Nickel History - hdc, 203 pages, by - $10.00
Nickel, John P.;
- Hope Beyond the Horizon - pbk, 148 pages, Mennonite Refugees fleeing Soviet Union. $5.00
- Hope Springs Eternal - pbk. 304 pages, Sermons and papers of Johann J. Nickel- Pub: Nanaimo, B.C. $10.00
- Canadian Women in Mission 1895-2002. Pbk. Pub: Self-published. $5.00
- translated from German into English - in 2009. The Old Colony - The Village of Einlage in South Russia, pbk. 500 pg. - $40. (being reprinted).
- Back issues of the "Torch" ministry of the Rosthern Bible School - 115 pgs. Pbk. $5.00
- Writing Your Memoirs - a booklet 21 pages, Pub: Self-published. $3.00 (just a few copies left).
- Writing Your Obituary, from her class in Feb/2010. pbk. self-published. $2.00
- Writing Your Memoirs & Writing Your Obituary (combined in one book) 28 pp., from her class in Feb/2010. pbk. self-published. $5.00
Patkau, Ken - Lost Dreams, New Beginnings - Pbk. 290 pp. The Jacob Aron and David Aron Lepp family saga. Pub: Patkau, Globe Printers, Saskatoon. $30.00
Reimer, Isaak - The Old Colony: the Village of Einlage in South Russia - 500 pp. Pbk. Translated by Esther Patkau, 2009. $40.00
Roth, Ed - Give Me a Bid to Go, Hdc. Friesen printers 168 pp. $30.00. 1 copy only
Schemenauer, Elma (Martens) - is a first-generation daughter of Russian Mennonite immigrants to Saskatchewan. She spent her early years in a farming community between Elbow and Davidson. This community later inspired the fictional setting for her novel Consider the Sunflowers, published in October 2014 by Borealis Press of Ottawa. See her page for a more detailed list of her prolific writings. Note: MHSS is not selling any of her books, but you can ask for her novel, Consider the Sunflowers in any bookstore or library, or you can order it online from Chapters Indigo, or from her publisher Borealis Press. Visit her own website at elmams.wix.com/elma site.
Wahl, Bob - The Story of the Saskatchewan School #99 451 pp. pbk. A unique portrayal of early education and the lives of settlers along the South Saskatchewan River, many of whom were Old Colony Mennonites. Many photos and copies of historic documents. Published by Friesen Press, 2014, Victoria, BC., $35.00. This, and an earlier book are available through MHSS/books. Contending with Horses (2009) Pbk. 314 pp. Autobiography. Wahl's journey from rural beginnings near Osler, Saskatchewan through incredible highs and lows in a sales career and Christian ministry in Canada, the United States and Europe. $20.00. Bob has more information on his own blog/site
- Big Bear, Cree Chief on Canadian Prairie - hdc. 222 pp. (also in softcover). Pub. Penguin Group. $20.00.
- Temptations of Big Bear, The. Life of Big Bear on Canadian prairies. 423 pp pbk. $20.00
- Of This Earth, hdc. 390 pp. Rudy's boyhood. $20.00
- Peace Shall Destroy Many, 297 pp. pbk. Rudy's life story. $20.00
- Stolen Life, hdc. 444 pp. written with Yvonne Johnson,the great-granddaughter of Big Bear. $20.00.
- Collected Stories, 529pp. pbk., from 1955 - 2010 a collection of his stories. $40.00